I particularly like working with rectangular fisheye lenses for my wide-angle macro work because they exhibit better good close-focusing capability than normal ultra-wide lenses. I have extolled the virtues of the Sigma 15 mm f/2.8 rectangular fisheye on many occasions when I was using it on APS-C format (with Nikon bodies and with a Sony NEX 7). Using a lens like this, designed for full frame, with formats smaller than that, permits the utilisation of the centre part of the image circle. The images then show remarkably little distortion – just a bit of curvature towards the edges: sharpness is excellent as is contrast and the close focusing capability is remarkable. In fact, this was the main lens that both Clay Bolt and I used when gathering images for our e-book: Wide-Angle Macro | The Essential Guide.
Of course, I can use also this lens with the micro 4/3 (MFT) format and a suitable adapter (Nikon to micro 4/3) but then it behaves as a 30 mm wide-angle compared with 22.5 mm forAPS-C, that is, unless you use the Metabones SpeedBooster. Then with the model I use it behaves as a 19.2mm lens with a maximum aperture 1 1/3 times wider than f/2.8…around f/1.8 – but more about that in the next post.
With a change of format to MFT, I wanted to go that bit wider…
Samyang 7.5 mm f/3 .5 rectangular fisheye
As I trudged uphill, through the thick beech leaf carpet, carrying rucksack and tripod I felt, instinctively, that this year would not be one for those tiny treasures, the ghost orchids, that have over the years held a particular interest for me within the greater encompass of my Orchidophilia.
The colouring of ghost orchids – various pale yellow and cream tones and reddish stem flecked with a darker red – creates a camouflage effect in their beechwood habit with its dappled lighting. The knack is to spot the first when, as with orchids of all kinds, others seem to spring up…as you get your ‘eye in’, especially when shafts of light penetrating the canopy pick them out. I had, in fact. given up, resigned to trying another day when I took a slight diversion some 40m sideways to a gulley and found the first flowering plant just a few cm high….another 9 spikes followed, flowering some two weeks earlier than I have ever found them previously.